Sunday, November 8, 2009

Finding a Linux Distribution For a New User

So after much downloading, burning images, installing and reinstalling I have decided that I am going with the Ubuntu 9.10 . There are a few reasons as to why I chose this distribution . Simply put its easy to use . I have found as a new user that the Gnome desktop environment is friendlier, there is a lot more support for those of us that haven't learned how to figure it all out on our own.
I did try Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with KDE (K Desktop Environment) and found that I really had no clue and or love for KDE.


All the distributions that I tried where the latest stable releases from their home pages.

Mandriva: Tougher install larger download less options it seemed unfriendly to the new user and the community is smaller then Ubuntu It may have its pros for some users but not for me.
opensuse: easy to install (too easy) was a very large download 4.3 gigs. doesn't seem to have the polish of Ubuntu also tough to figure out software install for new users . I had problems with my graphics card in ATI 3650 HD . It just felt unfriendly to the Linux newb in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment